Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Gay Issue

I watched Bruno last night.

The movie, similarly to Borat, shows the true nature of individuals and groups when they are filmed without understanding the context of the scene. While Borat didn't concentrate on any particular issue, a large portion of Bruno is dedicated to homosexuality, mainly homophobia. Sacha Baron Cohen (the guy playing Bruno) aggressively (understatement) hits on different men to provoke them into showing their true nature. In one of the scenes, a T.V. show was shown to a focus group where a penis was flapping around on screen. The group was, of course, unimpressed.

I laughed all through the movie and appreciated the clever way in which it reveals how ugly our world really is. But I also started thinking how I would react to some of the situations in the film. The immediate conclusion was - yes, I would make an ass out of myself (maybe not as much as some of those people) in most of these situations, unless I manage to recognize the actor.

Here's a bit about me.


I often joke that I "attract" gay people. My closer circle of friends contains gay men, lesbians, heterosexuals, and bisexuals (didn't meet a drag queen yet, unfortunately). I enjoy making fun of myself in a "gay fashion" (wearing a T shirt saying "Lesbian trapped in a man's body") and I'm one of the first to get into an argument with idiots who think homosexuality should be "cured". I find gay people easier to talk to sometimes, since they usually have an open mind - how couldn't they? I went to the Pride Parade in Toronto and I'm currently working (better say, avoiding work) on an article concerning gay villages.

And with all this, if I ever see a penis flapping around and be asked to say if I think that could make a good TV show, my response will probably be "what the hell is that?!" (A penis 8--).

I am terrified of naked men touching me. There, I said it. I don't know why it scares me so much, but when I was in the navy and we all had to shower together, my main concern was avoiding the other guys. If someone accidentally touched my shoulder it almost sickened me. I don't know why. I was once hanging out with some bisexuals (heh) and at some point found myself lying on a bed next to a guy. He made jokes about wanting to sleep with me. For some reason I had to let him know I really wasn't interested. I think I understood that he was only kidding, but I still had to be serious about it. I don't know why.

Today I thought about the possibility of going to a club and dance with friends who are all men. Lets say that all the girls are busy or tired and only the guys are up to go out and party. Will I want to do that? The answer is no. There's no reason for this, I really like all of my friends and I see girls dancing with each other all the time and they don't seem to bother.

Sometimes I think that while women are overcoming the hardships human history laid on them in the past, men, or at least I, am still stuck with a cultural load that doesn't make any sense.

So yes, when I was in navy we all made jokes and slapped each other on the butt. And when I see a good friend I hug him, no matter what sex he/she is. There is a certain line I reached and I feel comfortable living with it. I don't hurt anyone; at least I try not to, at least when it comes to this subject.

But is not hurting anyone really enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment